Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Yard Work!

So, I want to rant about all of the yard work that I did the other day while our friends, Devin and Jill Wiley, were in town from LA, but first, I will show the last picture of our plastic picket fence that will ever be taken. We have since taken it down, since it is plastic, and will be putting it on Craig's list for anyone who wants it.
Now that that is over, you will have to oblige me quite a few photographs of the work that Devin and I (Justin) did on the yard. Megan and Jill took down the picket fence to help out, weed pulling was left to the guys. Actually, it more about the guys just wanting to get outside and do some work with their hands then anything else. That feelling of productivity was great!
































So by the end, we had 40 some odd 30-gallon trash bags filled with weeds, decayed wood, pine needles, and pine cones. It was amazing at how much stuff was left by the previous owners. As you might have guessed by the rest of the photographs and the work that we have had to do; the previous owners did not care much for their yard either. Probably several years of underbrush piled up. Sure, needles can do a good job at keeping down the weeds, but you have to do some maintenance.
Whew! Okay, now that that rant is over. We can go back to working on finishing the cabinets. Just got done with the second to last coat on the cabinet doors. The hinges have been installed. We now have to have one last door to be made by a cabinet carpenter (the previous door must have been destroyed and thrown away by the previous owners some time ago). We also need to find about another 1.5 feet of the crown trim/molding on the cabinets. I have looked in Home Depot and found a bunch of other kinds, but not what I am looking for. We have also done some ceiling painting in the master bathroom, the two extra bedrooms, and the hallway that we just painted the walls on. Next, we are looking at painting the ceiling in the dining room, the walls in the extra bedrooms and dining room, and installing recessed lighting in the hallways.
It never ends! I still have to get several cords of firewood for the winter before it gets too much colder, let alone snows!! In case you werer wondering, a cord is 4 ft x 4 ft x 8 ft. Lot's of wood. We don't have a wood stove yet, but hope to eventually get one that fits into the fireplace. From what everyone tells me, a wood stove will cut the winter burning down a lot. That's enough for now. I tend to ramble...

No comments:

Post a Comment